Thursday, May 31, 2007

Upstate New York and back "home"?



Its hard to say that I had seen enough of the city but after three weeks I think it was time to move on. If I stayed any longer I might just have never left. Luckily for me I have some cousins about an hour and a half North in a small town called Marlboro. The town, probably not more than a few thousand, is situated just inside the Hudson river valley. I'm not sure if you call it upstate NY but its further upstate than NY city so that's what I'm calling it. I am staying on a house which was built more than 200 years ago. It used to be a bed and breakfast and one at one time was the brightest spot for town nightlife. There was a small dance hall in the backyard, a 2-3 acre backyard at that. From here, outdoor thrillseeking is not too far away. Lots of good hiking, kaykaing, bike riding, fishing, and camping await. Yesterday I went with my cousins Alex and Sofia to a "mountain" top to explore Lake Minewaska. The weather was perfect and the views were spectacular. Another. The lake was very tempting to take a swim. There were multiple areas where amatuer cliff divers could launch themselves safely into harmony. Hopefully I will be back with some swim trunks. There was also some life in the lake...a tadpole here and outside.. a hawk.

We left a little early because I had made plans to go to a previous home of mine in Ridgefield, CT, a small town of about 20,000 tucked just inside the Western border of Connecticut. I lived here in the summer of 2005 where I had an internship with Schlumberger. I stayed with an unbelievably great family. I don't think I've lived a better summer. I had an entire upstairs attic with a TV and bedroom all to myself. I had a really sweet house Mom whom prepared dinner almost every night of the week and would also take me to soccer games and even went hiking with me once. My summer Dad is an outdoor enthusiast who took me out in the water by boat a couple times (see also: fishing, hunting, and traveling through rockies with son for a week with no contact from civilization). My house brother is actually set to star in a nationally released motion picture this coming fall called Margot at the Wedding with Jack Black and Nicole Kidman. My house sister is a ginger haired beauty planning for college. So crazy, last time I was here she was just finishing freshman year.

When I came back, the whole experience from 2 years ago seemed to instantly come back and revive itself. A delicious dinner was prepared lots of catching up was eagerly done. I even ended up spending the night in my old room. It felt fantastic to be back.


Random observation and question...

As I was driving to the hiking area yesterday there were quite a few motorcycles on the road. The good weather probably helped. For a small period of time there happened to be one of the motorcyclists directly infront of me on the road. Every time that he passed an oncoming motorcyclist he would put his left hand out as if to signal that they were in some kind of bike cult or something and the other guy would do the same. Thoughts? (Thanks Alex)


Picture note: I am now using picasa.google.com to host all my pictures. This software by google even lets you digitally edit photos and seems to have many more features than photobucket.com which I was using previously. (Thanks Marion)

No comments: